HomeAbout Us Tour the Center Calendar Events Retreat Reservations Map and Directions Contact Us

About the Retreat Center


1936
The Congregation of Missions of St. Vincent de Paul in Philadelphia announces plans to build a seminary on 460 acres in Lehigh Township, for the Vincentian Fathers in Germantown.

1938 More than 15,000 people gather at the cornerstone blessing for the seminary being built at the highest point in the Lehigh Township, near the Palisades of the Lehigh River.  His Eminence, Dennis Cardinal Dougherty officiated the ceremony.

1939 The doors open for the first seminarians.


Fr. Skelly-Founder of MIC

1940 The first priests are ordained.

1969 The Seminary opens its doors to allow priests of other dioceses to study there, including Allentown, Scranton and Harrisburg, and other orders, such as Barnabite Fathers and Byzantine Franciscans.

1990 Last two seminarians are ordained in Queen of All Saints Chapel; the seminary celebrates its 50th anniversary. The seminary, which had ordained nearly 500 men over the years, closes.

1991   The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia starts the Spirituality Year Program at Mary Immaculate Seminary for seminarians of Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary, Overbrook Pennsylvania.

1996 The Vincentian Fathers sell the seminary to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia.  The seminary is subsequently opened as a spiritual retreat center.  The center welcomes all faiths and religions for both individual retreats and group retreats.

2001 The Spirituality Year Program celebrates its 10th anniversary. 

Currently Opened to general public for spiritual retreats; both individual retreats and group retreats.  Make an online reservation.


Home ] [ About Us ] [ Tour the Center ] [ Calendar ] [ Events ]
Retreat Reservation ] [ Map and Directions ] [ Contact Us ]